The Mountain Retreat family originates from the surrounding villages, bringing with us the local charm and traditional hospitality of Yangshuo China. For the last six years, led by American designer Chris Barclay, Resident Manager Little Fish and trained by Staff Development Coach Ronald Van de Weerd of the Netherlands, we continuously learn about western guest expectations and how to exceed them. In addition to learning English and hospitality management, we share a commitment to learning about the interests of our guests, and introducing them to the unique culture of Yangshuo. To read more about our staff you can go to the Mountain Retreat blog (BACK SOON!).
To be a source of inspiration for our guests through the quality of our people and the beauty of our surroundings.
To be consistently recognized as a leader in sustainable tourism in China and the “must experience” hotel in Yangshuo. We rise above all competition through continuous innovation, world-class service and unmatched value.
Our Core Values
Environmental Preservation - meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs
Teamwork - supporting one another as a family, focusing on the common goal of delighting our guests
Integrity - being who we say we are, keeping our promises and being honest in all communication.
Local Community Support - Investing in the education and welfare of people from our neighbouring villages.
The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat was conceived as a simple "Eco lodge" where expats in China could escape from the chaos of crowded, polluted mega-cities. In the beginning, we didn't have air conditioning, or a western kitchen, or even a computer, just a telephone and fax at the front desk. As the Retreat grew in popularity, we found it necessary to upgrade facilities, and so added air conditioning, computers and wireless broadband, as well as a pizza oven! But the rooms have remained simple as when we began: no telephone, no TV, and a locally made beds & cotton batting mattress. We have stayed true to the authenticity of our original concept, like making our own bamboo furniture and offering a simple menu with fresh local dishes and a few western favorites. We now serve wine and imported beer as well, but we remain a simple country inn where people from all over the world can go to experience the beauty and serenity of Yangshuo.
Authenticity is central to the concept of our countryside Yangshuo hotel. We aim to give our guests a truly authentic experience and manage to do this through our staff who are all from neighbouring villages, our rooms which are designed using the Chinese tradition of feng shui and through the general ambience, that is for many more like a local home than a hotel. Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is also involved in charity work, most notably the Chinese-US Medical Foundation which was founded by Chris Barclay in 2002. We currently invest a percentage of our profits to funding full college tuition for rural girls from around the county. The charity came about after Chris's direct experience with Chun Li (Angel) the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat's former front desk supervisor of 13 years.
An additional percentage of profits are allocated to our green initiatives. While most other top-ranked Yangshuo hotels are managed by westerners, The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is 100% managed by local people, who share in profits and help continually improve services for our guests. As our staff come from local villages, thery are an excellent source of Yangshuo information and things to do around Yangshuo county. Whether you're looking for suggestions on Yangshuo bars, Yangshuo restaurants or recommended Yangshuo tours, you've found the right people at Yangshuo Mountain Retreat.
BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Guest reservations can be guaranteed by PayPal payment，bank transfer and Visa or Master card information. Yangshuo Mountain Retreat reserves rooms on a first-come-first-serve basis by PayPal guarantee. To reserve our rooms, we require a guarantee payment of the full room charge, paid in USD or EUR within 48 hours of confirmed booking.
If following confirmation, the number of rooms or nights originally booked are reduced, the discounted rate will no longer apply and the standard room rates will apply.
WITHIN 48 HOURS
Cancellations made within 48 hours of arrival date (not arrival time) will incur full charges. Reservations of more than two nights will be charged in full for the first two nights and all subsequent nights will be charged 50%.
Cancellations made 72 hours before arrival date (not arrival time) will incur 50% of total room night charges.
4 TO 6 DAYS
Cancellations made between 4 and 6 days before arrival date (not arrival time) will incur 30% of total room night charges.
7 DAYS OR LONGER
If the guest cancels with at least 7 days notice from arrival date, there is no charge.
Reservations of three or more rooms are regarded block bookings. Guests wishing to cancel the booking within 15 days prior to arrival will forfeit their deposit.
THIRD PARTY BOOKINGS
When accommodation is reserved by a third party, the cancellation charges automatically become the responsibility of the third party.
If a guest decides to leave early for any reason other than the direct fault of Yangshuo Mountain Retreat (ie; plumbing, electric, service-related failures) or un-controllable environmental phenomena, (floods, pandemics, political unrest), the guest will forfeit the amount in full for the subsequent room night on the day of early departure notification, and 50% of room charges for the remaining room nights on the reservation. Yangshuo Mountain Retreat will always inform guests in writing prior to their arrival of any issues related to the above that may affect their stay. Should Yangshuo Mountain Retreat fail to inform the guest in advance of any relevant issues affecting their stay, there will be no charge for early departure.
PLEASE ADVISE US IMMEDIATELY IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL OR ALTER YOUR BOOKING IN ANY WAY
Failure to do so will be deemed as acceptance of the above conditions. All amendments or cancellations must be made in writing (email or fax), canceling by telephone is not acceptable. We respectfully remind guests that a reservation made verbally or in writing, constitutes a legal contract between themselves and the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat.
Yangshuo Mountain Retreat (“Mountain Retreat”, “we”, “us” and “our”) takes the issue of safeguarding your privacy seriously. Our Privacy Notice describes what information we collect from hotel guests, as well as visitors to the Mountain Retreat website and mobile App, and the way in which Mountain Retreat uses this information to better serve your needs.
This Privacy Notice has been adopted by all of the distinct legal entities that manage and operate Mountain Retreat. References to “we”, “us”, “our” and “Mountain Retreat” throughout this Privacy Notice, depending on the context, refer collectively to those separate and distinct legal entities.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information is any information about you as an identifiable individual. The personal information that we process includes:
• Basic information – such as name, age, gender, passport information and publicly available photograph;
• Contact information – such as your home address, zip/postal code, email address and phone number;
• Financial information – such as your credit card details, itemized spending and transaction history;
• Health information where disclosed and relevant to the provision of services;
• Preferences – such as special requests, service issues and other preferences for your stay;
• Technical information – such as information about the device you use to interact with us (including the unique device identifier, hardware model, operating system and version, and mobile network information, in the case of our mobile App);
• Correspondence – when you contact us, such as to send an enquiry or make a request, any correspondence or application may be kept and added to your personal information.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
• to enable you to use our website and our mobile App;
• to help us identify you and any reservations you hold with us;
• to provide superior customer service to you;
• to assist us in making your reservation and providing the services you request at our property;
• to process transactions through our website (including taking payment for purchases you may make through our website) and to assist in any inquiries about your transaction;
• for billing purposes in relation to your stay with us;
• to confirm prior transactions and reconcile statements or invoices;
• to contact you in relation to matters that arise from your stay with us;
• to send you newsletters regarding our properties and to advise you of promotions or to inform you of offers or other information that may be of interest to you (if, where required, you separately provide your consent for us to do so);
• to conduct surveys or focus groups to receive your views of our properties and service delivery (if, where required, you separately provide your consent to this);
• to respond to a specific "Information Request" from you about one of our hotels, resorts or residential properties and deal with any other enquiries, correspondence, concerns or complaints you have raised;
• for you to participate in one of our on-line promotions; and
• to operate our business, including for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, statistical and research purposes and troubleshooting to help us improve our services.
Occasionally we will combine information from a number of Guests to better understand trends and your expectations. When this occurs, all identifiers are removed and the aggregate, anonymized information cannot be linked to any specific individual.
ON WHAT BASIS DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information on the following basis:
• to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, including financial reporting requirements imposed by government regulators and our auditors;
• to enter into agreements with you, and to perform our agreement to provide services to you when you stay with us;
• for legitimate business purposes – using your personal information helps us to operate and improve our business and minimize any disruption to the services that we may offer to you. It also allows us to make our communications with you more relevant and personalized to you, and to make your experience of our services more efficient and effective;
• because you have given your consent – at times we may ask for your consent to allow us to use your personal information for one or more purposes.
HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
We collect your personal information while monitoring our technology tools and services, including comment cards and email communications sent to and from Mountain Retreat.
Otherwise, we gather information when you provide it to us, or interact with us directly, for example:
• when you create a profile or sign in to access an existing profile on our website or App;
• when you make a purchase through our website;
• when you make a reservation online, by calling our Reservations or by contacting our directly; and
• during your stay at our hotel, including information provided during check-in.
We also receive information about you from other sources, such as our business partners and publicly available sources. We combine information that we have about you from various sources, including the information that you have provided to us.
HOW DO WE PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use a variety of security measures and technologies to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction, consistent with applicable data protection and privacy laws. For example, we allow only encrypted communications from all of our web forms, including when you provide your credit card information through our website.
Mountain Retreat stores personal information in a secure location and we take steps to ensure that only designated individuals have access to this information.
WHAT INFORMATION IS NOT SECURE?
We endeavor to protect the privacy of your account and other personal information that we hold in our records, but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information. Also, while we endeavor to put adequate contractual protections in place, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information in databases hosted by third parties.
It is important to note that any e-mail communication is not secure. This is a risk inherent in the use of e-mail. Please be aware of this when requesting information or sending forms to us by e-mail (for example, from the “Contact Us” section of our website). We recommend that you do not include any confidential information (i.e. credit card information) when using e-mail. For your protection, our e-mail responses to you will not include any confidential information.
Finally, to be prudent, please be sure to always close your browsers when you are done using a form or the reservation site. Although the session will terminate after a short period of inactivity, it is best to close your browsers immediately upon completion, especially when using a public computer.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION MAY BE PROVIDED TO THIRD PARTIES?
We may share certain of your personal information with:
• analytics and search engine providers that assist Mountain Retreat in the improvement and optimisation of the website and our mobile App;
• our professional advisors and auditors; and
• local or foreign regulators, governments, courts, law enforcement and national security authorities.
You may advise the hotel if you do not want personal preferences shared.
Where a third party is engaged by Mountain Retreat to provide services on our behalf, Mountain Retreat ensures these parties protect your Personal Information in a manner consistent with the principles articulated in this Privacy Notice.
In the case of third party residential property developers, the particular developer's website can be consulted for the developer's policy on the collection, storage and use of your personal information.
If you have chosen to join a subscription list, please note that they are only used for internal purposes and we do not sell or rent our subscription lists to anyone.
If Mountain Retreat suspects any unlawful activity is taking place, it may investigate and/or report its findings or suspicions to the police or other relevant law enforcement agency.
ACCESSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We understand that you may like to know what personal information we hold about you. We are happy to assist you with your request. To protect your personal information, however, we require that you prove your identity to us at the time your request is made.
When you make a request in person, we will require you to produce some form of photo identification such as a passport or a driver's license and you will be asked to sign a request form.
Where you make a request by other means, we request you contact us in writing via email, fax or letter including a copy of a government issued identification and signature. We require home and business addresses and phone numbers so we can check them with our files and satisfy ourselves as to your identity.
The above information is required to create an audit trail of how the request has been handled.
Mountain Retreat reserves the right to decline access to your personal information under certain circumstances as permitted by law. If your personal information is not disclosed to you, you will be provided with the reasons for this non-disclosure.
You may also be entitled to:
• request the correction and/or deletion of your personal information;
• request the restriction of the processing of your personal information, or object to that processing;
• opt out from processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes;
• withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information (where Mountain Retreat is processing your personal information based on your consent); and
• request the receipt or transmission to another organisation, in machine-readable form, of the personal information you have provided to Mountain Retreat.
Where you are given the option to share personal information with Mountain Retreat, you can always choose not to do so.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information from Mountain Retreat, you may indicate your wishes on your registration card when you stay with us or send an e-mail to our reservations.
You will always have the ability to accept or decline any form of communication from Mountain Retreat. You may unsubscribe from electronic marketing communications at any time by selecting the “unsubscribe” link included in such communications.
If you object to the processing of your personal information, or if you have provided your consent to processing and you later choose to withdraw it, we will respect that choice in accordance with our legal obligations.
After you have chosen to withdraw your consent Mountain Retreat may be able to continue to process your personal information to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law.
If at any time you wish to exercise any of these rights, you can do so by emailing Us at the address above.
HOW LONG IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION RETAINED?
Your personal information will be stored for the period of time required by law in the jurisdiction of any hotel holding the information. This may involve retaining information following your stay. We will delete your personal information once it is no longer required for any of the purposes described above.
We will also keep your personal information where we need to do so in connection with a legal action or an investigation involving Mountain Retreat.